Friday, November 26, 2010

Dutch Baby + Strawberries & Sweetened Ricotta

"A Dutch baby a day!" the wife exclaimed after the first bite of this amazing and perplexing treat. I whipped up this one from a recipe I spotted in GQ. It's as simple as you can imagine. The cool thing is watching the batter climb the walls of the pan and then tower over them. I watched it happen, and I'm still not sure how it works. I am sure that is is one of the most delicious desserts I have ever tasted. I'm sure it'd be wonderful sprinkled with a little powdered sugar, but we couldn't resist stuffing it with macerated strawberries and sweetened ricotta cheese.







Dutch Baby

2 eggs
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup milk
1 teaspoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
pinch nutmeg
2 tablespoons butter

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Place a 10-12 inch frying pan into the oven with the butter. Once the butter melts, pour the batter into the pan and return it to the oven for about 15 minutes or until golden brown.

Filling:

1 1/2 cups sliced strawberries
1/8 cup sugar

1/2 cup ricotta
2 teaspoons honey
1 tablespoon cane sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla paste
1 tablespoon milk

1/2 a lemon
tablespoon of powdered sugar

Mix strawberries with 1/8 cup sugar and set aside. Whisk together the ricotta, honey, sugar, vanilla, and milk until well incorporated. Spoon the strawberries into the dutch baby, top with cheese mixture, squeeze the lemon on top, and sprinkle with powdered sugar. No real need for those forks; as you see in the photograph, you might as well just tear into it using your hands. Hmmm...I wonder what I'll put in tomorrow's Dutch baby.