Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Mocha Banana Smoothie

This smoothie was made out of necessity one morning when nothing was going right. Around here, a trying morning usually involves one of the following minor annoyances: realizing that we've run out of something important, an appliance not working or suddenly breaking, or a minor injury due to sleepiness/carelessness. Well, on this particular morning, we had all 3 of these things go wrong in the space of about 5 minutes.

So. Only one thing would fix this mess: some coffee. Not able to fix it any of the usual ways, I busted out the blender and figured I'd make do by using some instant espresso powder I had in the baking supplies box. I'd make this smoothie again even if I wasn't in a pinch! I thought while I dashed around getting ready and drinking it up that day. It saved the whole morning.

Mocha Banana Smoothie

3 bananas (peeled, frozen in chunks)
4 teaspoons instant espresso powder (mixed with 1 cup water)
1/2 cup almond milk
2 tablespoons chocolate syrup (We like this kind.)
2 tablespoons agave nectar
2 pinches of sea salt

Blend all ingredients well in blender. (Serves 2.)